Did you know that skin is the largest body organ? Here are some quick and easy skin care tips to get you started:
1. Use sunscreen daily! Sun damage is the number one cause of premature aging and skin cancer. Whether or not you intend to be outside, its a good idea to have that protection all the time. Some moisturizers also incorporate it, we recommend TNS Ultimate Daily Moisturizer +20 spf.
2. Take a multi-vitamin. Vitamins C, E, A and B7 are beneficial not only to your general health, but to your skin as well! They can help minimize free radical damage, help produce new cell growth, promote healing and help with acne.
3. Drink water! Water helps the skin rid itself of impurities. Between 8 and 10 glasses a day should do it. It will also aid your overall body function.
4. Don't touch your face!! Your hands are germy, transferring those germs onto your face promotes oil build up and break outs. Tie your hair back at night to keep product build up off of your skin, and keep make up brushes clean. Throw out any make up that is more than a few months old.
5. Wash your face every evening to remove make up and other environmental build up from the day. This will prevent acne breakouts and infections from developing. Wash carefully after applying hair products as they can cause build up and residue on your skin. Your skin heals best around 10 pm, so try and scrub up way before bed time!
6. Avoid excess sugar. (This one is dear to our dental hearts!) Excess sugar leads to the formation of toxins called AGEs, (advanced glycations end products) which lead to the breakdown of collagen, connective tissue and promote wrinkles. Since this is kind of a toughy, try reducing your sugar a little at a time, like only putting half the amount of sugar in your coffee each day until you're down to none.
7. Exfoliate! Exfoliating several times a week helps slough off dead cells and brightens skin. For men, this can also help with in grown hairs associated with shaving.
8. Use products and services designed for your skin type. If you're not sure what your skin type is, consult an aesthetician, who will not only be able to tell you your skin type, but will recommend which products you should and should not use.
9. Don't pick! Squeezing, picking, popping and all other sorts other mean things you do to your skin can cause scarring and infection! It also works bacteria deeper into the skin.
10. Change your pillow cases often. They will hold onto the oils, residue and bacteria that you leave on them every night.